April 17th, 2014
|fearlessfirefly||04:50 pm - New fic alert [Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy]|
I got frustrated trying to transfer this fic from my word processor to Dreamwidth/LJ, so for now my latest fanfic can be found at the outside links below:
Born Again Every Time You Spend The Night: Post-TTSS, bookverse. There are things Smiley doesn't know about Peter Guillam. In which spies have crushes and punches and sleepovers. Guillam/Smiley, one-sided. Rated G, no content warnings apply.
Fanfiction.net | Archive of Our Own
This entry was originally posted at http://fearlessfirefly.dreamwidth.org/553579.html. Please comment there using OpenID. Or not, that's cool too! Do what you want! I-IT'S NOT LIKE I CARE WHERE YOU COMMENT OR ANYTHING geez.
Current Location: Saint Louis, MO
Current Mood: aggravated
Current Music: trisha's southern kitchen | fn
Peter LaBarbera came to my college to "expose" the "gay agenda." He wasn't expecting what would happen instead .
Best part of the whole thing: "As an institution, we have a duty to protect free speech, hateful or not.
But we don’t have to listen to it."
Did a bit too much in the garden today and my back is yelling quite loudly. But, I got spinach, brussels sprouts, heirloom tomatoes and zucchini in, in two containers.
I found out that the red container that was here when we moved in doesn't have horrible drainage...it has a *plug* in the perfectly sized drain hole. I don't understand...it was full of potting soil. What the hell were they trying to grow, water lilies? So, that one had been emptied and now I'll refill it and plant cucumbers. Even if I had known about the plug, it would have had to be emptied to pop it out. Bit too silly.
Current Mood: calm
One thing I find really strange/jarring about a lot of genre YA fiction is how something huge and life-changing happens and then the characters go back to doing normal teen things--particularly going to school. They also don't tell their parents things that they really, really should.
Like, authors, maybe I remember being a teenager better, I don't know, but I have something to tell you: I stayed home when I had to catch a late flight from vacation and nobody wanted to wake up in three hours to work/school the next day.
If I was secretly the princess of a magical kingdom and had until the full moon to find the Fiddlybobs of Rule, I would absolutely not be going to school. And yet, I saw this perpetrated again and again! I can forgive plots where the supernatural side of the story is a secret to be kept from parents (e.g., Animorphs), but that's not relevant in a lot of the books I'm reading now. Or sometimes the characters keep things secret when they really shouldn't because there's no evidence their parents suck, can't handle it, shouldn't handle it, or whatever. When things went south, 90% of the time my first instinct was to make an adult deal with it and those were normal life issues! If I needed to find the Fiddlybobs of Rule I would 100% be asking my parents if they know anybody in the Fiddlybob finding biz.
Were all YA authors raised by rabid disciplinarians?
This entry was originally posted at http://damselfish.dreamwidth.org/78993.html.
|nytekat||01:41 pm - blah|
my aunt is dying or is dead. she is my mom's sister. she has multiple sclorosis, so it is a blessing really.
|the_siobhan||02:28 pm - Do you feel like 1959?|
Gah. Can't comment on half of the LJ posts today, because I get some of them give me a pop-up saying my workplace is "considering" a block because the URL has been identified as web blogging site.
That's banks for you. Finger on the pulse, etc.
There was a discussion on a friend's FB recently about her upcoming marriage, and how while she is looking forward to the wedding and to being married to her partner, the prospect of being called "husband and wife" really skeeves her out.
I get that. Hoo boy, do I get that.
There have been a couple of times that I have talked to Axel about how I occasionally wished that we hadn't gotten married. Not because I regret marrying him (I don't), or because it wasn't fun (it was), but because of all the assumptions that other people put on our relationship because of it. Those grate on my nerves big time.
But you want to know what really drives me spare? It's when people change my name.
The absolute worst people for doing that seem to be contractors. I can't tell you how many times I have had to tell workmen, "That is not my name." We hire all our contractors through a central agency, and even though I set up the account and both our names are on it, they insist on calling me up and asking for "Mrs Johnston".
The last fucking straw was when I hired some guys to redo the floor in my sister's condo. They never spoke to Axel. They never met Axel. All arrangements were made by me. They had my contact info. My name was on the cheque I gave them. And when they finished the job they dropped the key off in the condo office in an envelope - labelled with Axel's last name. The office freaked out and wouldn't give back the fucking key without a copy of the ownership.
That was over a week ago and I am still ready to just about fucking skin somebody every time I think about it. It just might end up being the next person who calls me "Mrs Johnston".
This entry was originally posted at http://the-siobhan.dreamwidth.org/404326.html. There are comments on this post. Please comment there using OpenID.
Current Mood: invading poland
|rkt||12:01 pm - My tweets|
|sephirajo||12:00 pm - My tweets|
|vendettaxviolin||12:06 pm - My tweets|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Wed, 12:45: RT @usagipic_bot: おしゃれ泥棒 http://t.co/IzZ1i0WaqN #usagipic
- Wed, 14:24: RT @LIFECOACHERS: Truly embrace your inner child by avoiding all responsibility and blaming everyone else for your problems.
- Wed, 14:24: RT @OMGFacts: 1000s Upon 1000s of Buddhist Monks Kneeling In Meditation http://t.co/Y7cSvYB2Of
- Wed, 18:24: RT @MsDevinDanielle: @clarkgregg So the ship name for Coulson & the Cellist is Philharmonic, yeah? Because I mean... #epic #AgentsofSHIELD
- Wed, 18:26: RT @thelindsayellis: Guys, PLEASE, I cannot impress this enough - you are not doing me any favors by responding to people who threaten me.
- Thu, 00:30: RT @TheOmegaGeek: You say a word to my wife, boy, and I'll come up there and grind your genitals to paste under my Doc Martens.
- Thu, 00:31: RT @Hugs4Chris: OLD DOG, NEW TRICKS http://t.co/mL7VKcaUP7 #arf
- Thu, 00:34: RT @NightValeRadio: Your Man Card has been revoked. So has your Sentience Card. Also your Living Thing Card. Your Pile of Rocks Card is sti…
- Thu, 00:38: @chriscolfer My good sir, I bow down to your superior song choices and storyline. Can't wait for #OldDogNewTricks
- Thu, 08:55: RT @MaraWritesStuff: Sequels generally suck unless they were planned as part of a trilogy or series. I think Doubtfire ended where it neede…
|esprix||12:01 pm - My tweets|
- Wed, 23:08: OK, I have to admit this is pretty cool. I have a Bluetooth keyboard for my phone now. This will make texting a LOT easier. :)
|four||04:53 pm - ♫ Melted|
If the ice melted, a warmer song would have been brought about
But why is this ice so cold? Why is it so cold?
Current Mood: drained
Current Mood: cynical
|lyonesse||09:19 am - complaints dept.|
who the heck sent out for extra winter???
Current Mood: cold
|greenwick||05:46 am - My tweets|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Thu, 03:38: RT @SJRoopa: @whiteprivilegee THIS: http://t.co/NeyAhVwF8j
- Thu, 03:42: RT @SeghenAbraham: "@spinoutrambling: Now you can be "ethnic" from only $13.99! Oh goody.... http://t.co/xzjTOj7SL9" omg this is just blata…
- Thu, 03:44: RT @andressa_ian: Youre either for or against the dehumanization of minorities. You cannot be neutral. You cannot take the middle ground.
- Thu, 03:45: RT @NightValeRadio: Your Man Card has been revoked. So has your Sentience Card. Also your Living Thing Card. Your Pile of Rocks Card is sti…
- Thu, 04:50: India has now legalized a third gender category - http://t.co/YVeW9EqG6k #trans #lgbt #india
- Thu, 04:53: Round-up of links about how US prisons treat trans people - http://t.co/LipxaLu3JI #transrigts #trane #lgbt
- Thu, 04:56: Trans teen has been imprisoned in solitary confinement without having committed a crime - http://t.co/QcmMEJOv7T #prisonersrights #trans
- Thu, 05:05: An essay on bathroom harassment - http://t.co/BTe4MO9OWN #transrghts #trans
- Thu, 05:16: Australia recognizes non-binary identity, but with some problems - http://t.co/RWs2FS50sx #trans
- Thu, 05:18: A photographer has documented the lives of Mongolian trans women - http://t.co/rXUvWk0kRn
|singloom||12:01 pm - My tweets|
( Read more...Collapse )</lj-cut
- Wed, 12:07: Photoset: The glory of shopping in Akihabara, Japan. http://t.co/X9q1F8hkuT
- Wed, 12:19: @TeamBenevolence making a grab for all the Persona 4 goods. #Japan #Tokyo http://t.co/jyagXZexuM
- Wed, 12:21: An Attack on Titan themed warning about opening goods in the Animate store. #Japan #Tokyo http://t.co/MuskXWwhYH
- Wed, 12:27: Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors goodies in Animate. @tecmokoeieurope #Japan #Tokyo http://t.co/RkQpEhTEgg
- Wed, 12:29: Special Kingdom Hearts display case full of awesome. #Tokyo #Japan http://t.co/uXqiJK9iJa
- Wed, 16:08: Photo: Best thing ever happened when me and the other half�were in Sendai. Guess who teambenevolence... http://t.co/IMfwMGOAkx
- Wed, 16:10: Guess who @TeamBenevolence happened to get in the Sengoku Basara gashapon machine in Sendai of all places? http://t.co/FLqT8tpn35
- Wed, 16:15: RT @PokeTrends: Wouldn't this be a great breakfast? http://t.co/W9rBzd90x2
- Wed, 16:17: Photoset: First day in Sendai and Date love everywhere. http://t.co/Sw3jX8jtQw
- Wed, 16:24: Photoset: Heading up to the Zuihoden, Sendai. http://t.co/BJBqVzjdLI
|ysabetwordsmith||12:19 am - Linguistics|
Word meanings can shift over time. Sometimes this is good, other times not so much. I'm often bemused by "decimated" to mean "mostly or wholly destroyed." It really means "1/10 destroyed." LInk courtesy of my partner Doug.
Current Mood: busy
|ysabetwordsmith||12:11 am - Art|
Cut paper art.
Current Mood: busy